Permission for children eligible to ride a school bus is conditioned on his/her good behavior and observance of the following rules, regulations, and procedures. Children who violate any of these shall be reported to the Building Administrator and may be denied the privilege of riding the school bus to and/or from school.
Prior to loading (on the road and at the school)
- Wait at the assigned school bus stop location.
- Arrive at your pick-up location at least five (5) minutes prior to your assigned pick-up.
- Stay off the roadway at all times while waiting for the bus.
- Wait until the bus comes to a complete stop before attempting to board the school bus.
- Do not move toward the school bus at the designated stop until the bus has been brought to a complete stop. Watch for the driver's signal if crossing the street.
While on the bus
- Remain seated at all times while the bus is in motion.
- Keep hands, head, and other body parts inside the bus at all times after entering the bus or until leaving the bus.
- Assist in keeping the bus safe and clean.
- Keep aisles clear of all items such as musical instruments, athletic equipment, carrying cases, etc. Loose items, bats, skateboards, etc. may not be brought on the bus. This type of equipment shall be kept in a bag or in a case. Large non-school related items should not be brought on the bus.
- Keep the noise down. Remember that loud talking and laughing, or unnecessary confusion diverts a bus driver's attention and may create a serious safety hazard.
- Treat bus equipment with care. Damage to seats, windows, etc. must be paid for by the individual(s) causing the damage.
- Do not throw anything out of the bus windows.
- "Horseplay" is not permitted near or on the school bus. (This could result in property damage, and or harm to an individual of which you will be responsible for).
- Quiet is necessary when approaching a stop for railroad crossings.
- Use, possession, sale, distribution, or being under the influence of tobacco products/alcohol/ drugs and other severe violations are prohibited. Failure to comply will result in child's suspension from the school bus and, or expulsion from school.
- In case of emergency, remain on the bus unless otherwise directed by the bus driver.
- Eating and drinking is not allowed on the school bus.
- Technology has provided an additional non-partial means of enforcing discipline on school buses in the form of video cameras. Such cameras may be used where situations warrant.
After leaving the bus
Rural Stop Locations: Red light and stop arm only
- After getting off the bus if crossing the road (cross at least ten feet in front of the bus) look to be sure no traffic is approaching from either direction and then only upon the driver's signal to proceed. If not crossing the street, move away from the bus immediately.
City Stop Locations: Hazard lights (4-way flashers) only
- After getting off the bus stay clear of the bus on the sidewalk. After the bus has gone, check traffic carefully from all directions and cross only at the cross walks.
- Bus drivers are not allowed to discharge children at other places than each student's designated bus stop location unless by appropriate written authorization from school.
Responsibilities of Parents, Bus Drivers, and Administration
Expectation of the Parent/Guardian:
- Informs their child of the bus rules and expectations for behavior.
- Discuss the consequences for violating bus rules.
- Follows through with consequences.
- Makes sure their child is to the pick up location at least (5) five minutes before pick up time.
- Works with the principal for any requests for temporary passes or any requested route changes.
- Refers any concerns the child has over bussing or bus drivers to the principal.
- Ask your child to consider the bus to be an extension of school and to not use technology such as cell phones for picture taking or for unnecessary conversation. The parent should stress emergency or urgent uses.
Parents shall assume responsibility for the behavior of their children while riding a school bus. If permission to ride the school bus is revoked, the parent/guardian is solely responsible for seeing to it that his/her child gets to and from school safely.
Expectation of school Administrator/ Secretary:
- Follows through with students on discipline reports from bus drivers.
- Implements the discipline system:
- May require assigned seating. Consequences for violations of safety rules include, but are not limited to, discussing the incident with the student, conference with the parent, suspension of bus riding privileges.
- Administrator/Secretary maintains general information from the Transportation Office on stop locations, lists of eligible riders, etc.
- The school administrator handles reinstatement of bus riding privileges.
Expectation of the Bus Driver:
- Bus driver is consistent on stop locations, times, rules, follows "discipline tips" to avoid discipline problems, etc.
- Bus driver reports misconduct to principals verbally and/or by using proper forms with complete description of behaviors of concern.
- Bus driver reports to First Student stop locations that may need changing due to unsafe conditions or temporary road closures.